“Pixel Dump is another great stop for thoughts on the state of gaming, and I’m looking forward to watching more achievements be unlocked during the weekend run-throughs!” –
A few months ago, when I first started writing a blog, I never envisioned – nor set out to achieve – any recognition at all. I just thought that it was about time I put my thoughts into words and hopefully spread some cheer along the way.
I’ve somehow been nominated by Athena over at AmbiGaming for the Sunshine Blogger Award. There I was, doing some prep for the aforementioned ‘Weekend Run-Through’, when a little orange notification popped on WordPress saying I’d been linked to a post. So thank you Athena, I’m indebtedly grateful for the nomination… and also the added work of writing this up!
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to those who are inspiring and spread sunshine into the lives of other bloggers and readers. It’s a great honor!
- Thank whoever nominated your blog
- Indulge yourself and answer any questions you feel happy to answer
- Spread that radiance to some other awesome blogs to keep the light shining brightly
- Use these questions or make up your own to ask your nominees
- Tell your nominees that they have been nominated
- Put your preferred award logo on display (I chose this one. You can run a Google search for “Sunshine Blogger Award” and pick your favorite!)
Well, firstly… the logo. The featured image I’ve set is my chosen logo. Of course, it is The Illusive Man from the Mass Effect series. Gazing off at the star that famously provides the backdrop to his office can’t be good for him or his eyes. Although I’ve realised that ideally it should bare the text ‘The Sunshine Blogger Award’ so the below should hopefully tick that box.
Whether it qualifies as an acceptable image for the purpose of this post, I’ll let you decide.
What fictional character would you want to grab coffee (or beverage of choice) with? Why?
Now, I’m not saying this because I’m playing a lot of Gears Of War at the moment, but I’d say Baird. His sarcastic remarks make me crease every time. Being the nerd of the squad, he reminds me very much of myself. Nothing’s off-limits with him, and the more vulgar the comment the better. It’d probably be a beer, or I’d take him for breakfast and grab a cup of tea with a bacon sandwich; he’d sure as hell appreciate that!
If it is true that I’m having a bit of a Gears Of War phase and I’m blinded by it, then I’d choose Paarthurnax from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim instead. Why? Well if being a dragon isn’t justification enough; he’s old, wise and I bet he would have a bucket load of stories to tell. He can teach me the fire-breath shout too, which would be pretty neat.
What do you think is the key to being happy?
No, seriously this is a tough one! In my eyes, the key to happiness is being content. Once you’re happy with yourself – who you are, where you are and where you’ve come from – you can really start to appreciate the little things. Happiness is earned from love, above all else this love needs to come from within. Not the vain kind of love for yourself, but the self-appreciation and self-acceptance kind.
..But also, 100%-ing a game is certainly up there for being the key to being happy.
What story (video game or otherwise) makes you happy any time you play/read/watch/hear it?
My all time favourite book series is ‘The First Law’. It’s a fantasy trilogy written by Joe Abercrombie. It’s perfectly written and incredibly engaging, you. I’d recommend it to anyone who’s into that type of thing. Even if you don’t read that often, if you’re into The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age-type fantasy games, this is right up your street.
What flavor of ice cream is most like you?
I’d say Mint-Chocolate chip. I don’t look all that appetising and you’ll likely be put off by my colour; but if you persevere, you’ll find small pieces of greatness inside.
Here’s the hard part. Nominating bloggers that spread plenty of sunshine? I think I’d rather attempt Guitar Hero III‘s ‘Through The Fire and Flames’ on Expert instead of whittling the list of potentials down to a reasonable number. It would certainly be easier…
1. Captain Farley was the first person to discover my blog, he gave me my first like and has set me on my blogging travels. Although few and far between, he writes some fantastic stuff over on his blog at Shooting Aliens in The Face.
2. LigtningEllen and her crusade of Conquering The Gaming Backlog provides a steady stream of enjoyment. Her Wednesday Weekly Wrap-up’s deliver a great insight into her gaming mind. She’ll finish Fallout 4… eventually.
3. Cheap Boss Attack reliably produces top-notch blog posts. He’s the bookmaker’s favourite for the award here and credit where it’s due, he totally deserves it. He’s worth a follow on Twitter too, if you’re that way inclined.
4. Kim is one of the authors at Later Levels, if she’ll ever finish her quest to complete “the top 1,001 video games released between 1970 and 2010 that everyone should play” remains to be seen, but here’s hoping!
5. Then there’s Stuart and his site Forged From Reverie. I read ‘reverie’ as ‘Rivia’, but that’s because, like the definition, I’m pleasantly lost in my thoughts of The Witcher games. He’s certainly a huge Skyrim fan, and if you’re into fantasy this is your stop.
It’s incredibly difficult to commit to 5 nominees, but there they are. Thank you to each of you for making my life that little bit brighter. I’m just sorry that I couldn’t have more here, there’s so much inspiration on my WordPress Reader page and so many awesome, well written articles.
So, if your blog is unfortunate enough to be featured on the above list, you better get thinking. Here are my 4 simple questions for you, they’re all gaming related because I… erm… like games.
1. What was the first game you can remember playing?
2. What is your most memorable experience of playing video games? Whether just a gripping twist of a story, or a crazy moment you’ve had in online matchmaking.
3. Who is your most hated in-game character? Let me know who grinds your gears and why.
4. Which game has your all-time favourite soundtrack?
Thanks for reading, and thanks again to Athena from AmbiGaming. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed writing this and cant wait to see some of my nomination’s answers.